Awards & Honors
- Research Grant, National Park Service, 2017-2018
- Kinder Dissertation Fellow, Kinder Forum on Constitutional Democracy: 2015-2016
- Filson Fellow, Filson Historical Society: 2013
- The Institute for Military History and 20th Century Studies Research Grant: 2009
- “Heralding the Call of Populism: Kansas Methodists and the 1896 Presidential Election,” Methodist History 49, no. 1 (October 2010): 20-36.
- “Disloyalty and the Cross: Gender and Antiwar Dissent in Civil War Missouri,” Mid-America Conference on History, Lebanon, IL, September 12, 2015. Chair: Allison Clark Efford; Commenter: Ann V. Collins
- “Blessed are the Peacemakers: Religion, Manhood, and Nonviolence During the American Civil War,” Conference on Faith and History, Malibu, California, October 26, 2014. Chair: James Bratt.
- “The Threat of Peace: Nonviolence and Division in the Disciples of Christ during the American Civil War,” Southern Historical Association Conference, Montgomery, Alabama, November 1-4, 2012. Chair: George Rable; Commenter: Chandra Manning.
- “The Constraints of Christian Unity: Nonviolence and the American Civil War,” Conference on Faith and History, Boston, Massachusetts, October 6, 2012. Chair: Tracy MacKenzie; Commenter: Curtis Johnson
- “The Threat of Peace: Nonviolence and Division in the Disciples of Christ during the American Civil War,” Society of Civil War Historians Biennial Conference, Lexington, Kentucky, June 15, 2012. Chair: George Rable; Commenter: Harold Tallant.
- “Faith in Every Footstep: Mormons, Movement, and Transhorizonal Memory,” Missouri Conference on History, Columbia, Missouri, March 30, 2012. Chair and Commenter: Richard Callahan.
- “The Miracle of the Gulls and Collective Memory,” Mormon History Association Conference, Independence, Missouri, May 27-30, 2010.
Involvement at MNU
- Conference on Faith and History
- Society of Civil War Historians
- Southern Historical Association
MNU Awarded $1 Million Mabee Foundation Challenge Grant