Christian Ministry & Formation Overview
The Department of Christian Ministry & Formation focuses on your spiritual core, assisting you to boldly explore life’s biggest questions, solidify your passion for serving others and pursue a calling that will lend purpose to your life.
- Children and Family Ministry
- Youth and Family Ministry
- Intercultural Studies
- Bible and Theology
Certificate programs are also available by application to the department in:
Bible and Theology
Children and Family Ministry
Youth and Family Ministry
Educational requirements for ordination in the Church of the Nazarene can be met through the Ministry major, the Youth and Family Ministry major, the Intercultural Studies major (with ordination concentration), and Children and Family Ministry major (with appropriate electives). Students interested in being ordained in another denomination should consult with the department chair to design a program that fulfills the education requirements of their church.
- Hands on Preparation: Learn from real world experiences through a variety of internships, practicums, case studies, travel, and field trips.
- Taught by Experienced Professionals: Every one of our teaching staff has worked in local churches, both in the US and internationally. Our team are published authors, sought after conference speakers, and noted authorities in their respective disciplines.
- Emphasis on Formation: Our programs all emphasize in-depth academic preparation but of equal importance is the preparation we offer for spiritual character and maturity. You will learn both with your head and your heart in our uniquely structured curriculum.
- Bivocational Training: At MNU, we help ministry students identify secondary vocational opportunities to enhance their ministry and their income. Our programs partner with the Business, Fine Arts, Athletics, Education, English as a Second Language, Counseling departments to offer our majors creative ways to increase their reach with their degrees.
- Key Location: MNU is located in a suburb of Kansas City, allowing access to a wide variety of ministry settings in urban, suburban and rural areas. Churches of all sizes and cultures are within easy driving distance for internships and part time jobs. Kansas City is home to the Global Ministry Center for the Church of the Nazarene, the Nazarene Publishing House, the Nazarene Theological Seminary as well as parachurch organizations like YouthFront, Heart to Heart, and KidsTLC.
- Conservative Values with Progressive Strategies: MNU’s Ministry Department is couched in a conservative theology and lifestyle tradition but it is built to address the changing needs of today’s moderns society. Cutting edge church planting cohorts, use of 21st century technology in church support, worship arts training, and work among immigrant groups from around the world put MNU at the top of key issues facing the church today.
At MidAmerica Nazarene University, we're helping you answer THE CALL, equipping high school juniors and seniors for a lifetime of Christian ministry.